The Equality Act of 2010 was introduced to ensure individuals were protected from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). For schools, this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against students or treat them less favourably because of their gender; race; disability; religion or belief; gender reassignment; sexual orientation; pregnancy or maternity.
Under the Act, the school is expected to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty. This requires us to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
As a public organisation, we are required to:
- Publish information to show compliance with the Equality Duty. This is done via our Equality and Diversity Policy
- Publish Equality Objectives which are specific and measurable
Equality Objectives 2019 – 2021:
- To ensure our curriculum provision, wider opportunities and community code ensure tolerance and respect for individuals and enable pupils to appreciate and value difference and diversity.
- To promote greater awareness of cultural and religious diversity through our assembly programme, external speaker programme, and wider opportunities.
- To extend the range of support that the LGBT allies offer students with these protected characteristics that require support,including transgender and gender questioning students.
- To improve support for students’ mental well-being to help students remain in education through a school-wide approach that aims to promote resilience, recovery, ownership and empowerment.
- To continue to close gaps in students’ performance through monitoring of performance data and responding and intervening where variations between groups of learners show further progress could be made.
- To further improve support for SEN students through training and monitoring of provision to assess impact and develop specific, person-centred support.